The last two months have been pretty hectic to say the least, let alone the last two years.
When someone once said to me: “There is always darkness before dawn” …I stared blankly at him and walked away as my house had just burned down, but, as I walked away I thought about what he said and rather than dismiss his words as patronizing, in my own way I interpreted that as something good will come out of struggle and hard work.
In January I found out I was shortlisted in two out of the three categories I was nominated in for the UK National Blog Awards. The awards ceremony is in April so fingers crossed people the good luck continues from the hard work. Even if I don’t win, it’s an excuse to get suited and booted…and as my ma says “a time you can put on a dress Annie and look like a girl for once!”
And, last week the lovely Caitlin from I’m a Damn Student, what do I know? nominated me for a Liebster Award.
After a good half hour with my friend Google, I found out that the Liebster Award is not a physical award but more of a chain blog award passed around the blogging community as a sweet and simple way of getting to know each other.
– Answer 11 random facts about yourself
– Answer 11 questions from the person that nominated you
– Nominate 11 new blogs (with under 200 followers) and make 11 questions for them to answer
Get the jist? Let’s get cracking!
- I’ve met Ant and Dec
- My real name is Androula
- I have an unhealthy obsession with post-it notes
- I like to think I have a good knowledge of movie trivia
- I mostly only wear black
- I’m a little bit in love with Steve Coogan. Ok, a lot in love with Steve Coogan.
- I can pretty much quote the whole of Willow
- My dog Frodo is my best friend
- I have really weak wrists
- My favourite film is Rocky Horror Show
- I can’t watch one episode of a tv show, I have to watch the whole thing
1. Why did you start blogging?
I used to be really shy with a vivid imagination and never knew how to express myself so I’d read and write all the time. I used to write short stories and poems and have never stopped questioning everything I can see or imagine, which led me to start a blog. I thought my random ideas and questions were worth putting down somewhere not on paper so I couldn’t lose them, and hopefully one day someone else will have an opinion on them. It’s also pretty cathartic putting everything down on screen, no matter how random, romantic, funny or sad it is.
2. What is your favourite type of post to write & why?
My favourite type of post to write is normally the most random. While sitting on the train, waiting in the lift at work or in the steam room etc, if I notice some sort of behaviour, I’ll question it and think it interesting to discuss. Anything from talking to a stranger, how the mafia started, listening to a song over and over again, to how often we as humans actually interact with human touch. I like them the most because while others may find them silly or simple behaviours, I find them the most interesting.
3. If you had a super power what would it be?
I’d love to be able to fly.
4. What do you feel has been your biggest achievement in life so far?
My biggest achievement is probably my job. Ever since I was little I’d always wanted to be a writer. As I got older I wrote on the side, as a hobby but never had the opportunity to further it into a career. Almost two years ago I joined a publishing house as admin and within eight months, a hop, skip and a jump later , and a couple of people who believed in me, I moved over to the dark side of editorial. I’m so proud to say that I am a journalist and doing what I love. Without the hard work, struggle, being a tea bitch for a while and people giving me the opportunity and chance, I wouldn’t be where I am now, and that I believe is my biggest achievement.
5. If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
That Sundays become stay-at-home-wrapped-in-a-onesie-or-duvet-with-a-roast-dinner-and-ben&jerries-while-playing-Disney-films-day
6. If you could speak to your past self, what would you say?
I’d tell myself to be more confident, if others can believe in you then so can you. If you want something then do all you can to get it, it won’t just come to you. Also, I’d say: “Cheer up love, why the long face?”
7. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I’d like to have a little family around me, with a pet tortoise, and have worked my way up to an editor role or similar.
8. Who inspires you the most?
As cliched as it sounds, my parents. My Ma – as little as she is – is strong and can handle mostly anything, including the bickering between me and my siblings when we’re all home at Christmas. And my Dad, who had such a strong work ethic and humour to make any miserable so-and-so crack a smile. He’d do everything and anything for anyone.
9. What is the one goal you are working towards?
Trying to be more positive about life and myself. Not to let anxiety or fear pull me down. To be happy and confident
10. If you could meet anyone in the world who would it be?
Nicholas Cage hands down.
11. What’s your top number one place you want to visit?
Oooh tricky. I’d love to explore Japan, Thailand and Singapore. Failing that I’d like to go Ireland and see Dad.
Anoushka @ Seeing Beyond Sight
Dave @ Espresso Coco
Emma @ Snowing Indoors
Emma @ Outnumbered
Laura @ Laura Jane Roche
Anthony @ Year31Project
Becki @ Eventsnorthern
John @ Fit for 365
Citizen #78,304,433,060 @ Neverending List
Tors @ Girl Meets Wolf
Dom @ Dom Movies
(Please note Caitlin that you’d have been in this list if you hadn’t have nominated me!)
1. What do you like to blog about?
2. What’s the story behind your blog name?
3. Which blog post of yours are you most proud of?
4. If you could live one day over again, what would it be?
5. Tea or coffee? (cheat question: how do you like either?)
6. What’s the most unusual thing you’ve eaten?
7. What do you think of Nicholas Cage?
8. Who was your first celebrity crush?
9. What is your dream job?
10. What’s your favourite quote from a film?
11. What and/or who inspires you?
Everyone who participates please can you leave a link in the comments below so I can have a gander at your answers. Thanks!