Often in the movies, love between two people is so powerful that it transcends time, location, and even language. In a film you might see a British guy hop onto a last minute flight to the States where he professes his love and proposes to the pretty girl in the summery dress in front of the whole town on Christmas Eve, and they will presumably live happily ever after.
But life isn’t like the movies. Life doesn’t often pan out how you’d like it to, so you know what, you just go with the flow, and see where it takes you.
So in an ideal world, where are these two going to live happily ever after? The UK…or the States? It just sounds like pure fantasy that this long-distance relationship can be magically transformed into the perfect domestic relationship that we all (or at least I) dream about.
In real life, long-distance relationships are hard. They don’t often work because they are a fantasy. Yes they’re passionate, yes they’re intense and loving but can they battle time and distance? Relationships like these usually exist in a suspended “honeymoon state,” where everything is happy and shiny and most problems tend to be ignored.
However, in certain situations like if a relationship is forced to become long-distance for a period of time (be it because of work or family for example), they don’t tend to fall into the ‘fantasy’ trap because they’re based on the practicalities and realities of real life. Those who work with their partner and for their partner can commit to battling time and distance. These relationships can thrive, and there can be a happy ending.
Here are some of the perks of being in a long-distance relationship…
1. You get to eat a whole packet of cookies with only your dog to judge you
2. You never have to feel guilty about taking “me time” …aka Breaking Bad, The Killing and Jonathan Creek marathons on Netflix
3. You’ll never become one of those girlfriends who’s stuck to their boyfriend’s side…there is another word besides “WE” in the English language. Being separate means you can master being independent and being in a relationship
4. Every time you say goodbye it breaks your heart, but it makes the kisses and hugs last longer and mean more
5. You don’t have to shave your legs or wax very often!
6. Your time is precious so you don’t need to bother with the awkward small talk. You’re more likely to come up with silly games, puzzles and private jokes
7. When you’ve had a crappy week you know you’ve always got something to look forward to
8. You might have to wait a week to see the next episode of Game of Thrones because it’s only fair BUT the anticipation makes it so much better
9. When you are together you spend most of your time in bed
10. You have a secret stash of chocolate under your bed you and he only knows about
11. You’re more likely to go on “special dates” and do touristy things
12. You get to hide little presents and tokens in their bag for them to open when they get home. And even better, when you’re tidying your room you find little presents they’ve left you
13. As soon as they’ve left yours you can FINALLY poop! (sorry boys, despite popular belief, girls do actually need to use the toilet)
14. When you do fight it’s mostly only because you wish you could spend more time together (or because they sneakily watched an episode of Game of Thrones without you!)
15. And…you get to fall in love all over again